As a restaurateur, you’re rarely sitting down at a desk — days are full of meetings, you’re on your feet, and many operators are even running between restaurants. In today’s ever-competitive industry it’s never been more important to stay connected to what’s happening at the host stand. That’s why we at OpenTable unveiled our GuestCenter iPhone app, which allows owners and managers to monitor their business no matter where they are.
We’ve round up some the best articles with trends and tidbits from the world of OpenTable.
Tell us: what made your reading list this month?
- How to book at table at the World’s Best Restaurants – Escape
- Facebook rolls out Messenger 2.0 featuring more branded bots and a new discover tab – Mumbrella
- Facebook is giving Messenger bots a massive overhaul – Mashable
- OpenTable introduces Messenger bot for reservations – Hospitality Magazine
- Facebook Messenger wants to be the new Yellow Pages – CNet
- Do you tip? Tightarse correspondent Fitzy investigates Aussie tipping culture! – The Project
- 20% of diners never leave a tip: study – Hospitality Magazine
- Should Australia follow other countries where tipping is expected? – Channel 10
- Will you tip your waiter this Mother’s Day lunch? – Finder.com.au
- The One Thing You Do At A Restaurant That Really Pi**es Staff Off – WHIMN
- 5 Awesome things to do in Melbourne this week – The Urbanlist
- Tipping in Australia: To leave or not leave a tip? – News.com.au
Be our Guest
Noosa, we’re on our way!
If you’re heading to Noosa for this amazing Food and Wine Festival, make sure you come visit our VIP marquee at The Woods.
From Friday to Sunday, be our guest at our exclusive space in The Woods, where you can unwind this weekend, and connect with others in the industry. And yes, cheese, wine and drinks will be served.
Exclusively for industry and media only, if you’re going to be at the festival, let us know by contacting us on email@example.com and we’ll get you on the VIP list.
VIP Industry Lounge times:
- Friday May 19, 5PM – 11PM
- Saturday May 20, 10AM – 11PM
- Sunday May 21, 10AM – 5PM
Event Festival at a glance:
- Over 70 events in the program
- 45 visiting chefs taking part in the festival
- 28 local restaurants hosting events
- Over 50 visiting wineries
- 2 Festival hubs – the Beach and the Woods
- Major event partnership with Tourism Events Queensland and Tourism Noosa
- National PR and advertising program to promote the Festival
- Highly engaged audience with over 19K on FB and 7.8K on instagram
Whether it’s an unexpected power outage or a storm — sometimes, tech goes dark. Technology has incredible power to streamline operations and hospitality, but in the high-touch restaurant business, you have to be prepared for anything and everything that might come your way.
Enter the Restaurant Crash Kit, a set of tools and systems designed to get operators through a busy service if any tech systems go down — without guests being able to detect a thing. Though they all look a little different, plenty of restaurants have some version. We tapped experts on our Restaurant Relations team, who have collectively spent thousands of hours working every position in the dining room, for tips, tricks, and insights. Here’s how to get prepared.
We’re always thinking about new ways to connect diners with great restaurants, whether they’re around the corner or around the world. Today, we are thrilled to introduce a new way to search and make restaurant reservations directly through Facebook Messenger! With OpenTable’s bot for Messenger, diners can make reservations at any of our 40,000+ restaurants worldwide right in Messenger through the new Chat Extensions feature.